Penywern Ponds – Top and Middle
There is an upper and lower pond situated either of the A465 Heads of the Valleys road, west of the ASDA store. The lower (Middle) pond is visible from the road.
Middle Pond which is visible from the A465 has not had any stocking or work done because of the improvements to the A465 which are starting in 2021. The pond holds double figure carp, bream, roach, and perch. Unfortunately it holds a head of American Signal Crayfish which being an invasive species are to be killed and not returned to the water.
- There are no legal bait restrictions on Penywern Ponds
- No plastic bags or tin cans allowed
- All bait must be kept in proper bait containers
- Only two rods allowed to be used at any time
- Barbless Hooks only for all coarse fish
- Night fishing is allowed but the use of bivies, tents, and umbrellas with storm flaps is banned as these would constitute camping, which is not allowed.
- Large carp are not allowed to be retained in keepnets, carp sacks, or by any other method and must be returned to the water immediately, except in bona fide competitions. When carp fishing you will need a landing net of at least 30”, and an unhooking mat/cradle.
There is access to platforms for disabled anglers on both ponds.
This pond behind ASDA is very well stocked with double figure carp, roach, bream, barbel, and perch. Access is good all around the pond with concrete platforms on the shallow side. The rules above also pertain to this pond. The Alliance has provided plenty of litter bins around the pond so please make use of them and do NOT leave any litter.
Location & Parking
Top Pond is accessible through a locked gate, key available for purchase when you join. The gate is behind the Local Asda store and is accessed from there.
Middle pond is currently only accessible through Station Terrace Dowlais again a key id available for purchase this is the same key as for top Pond
Car parking for middle pond is available by turning off Dowlais High Street into Station Terrace and then first left towards the pond. Please re-lock the barrier when accessing and exiting.
The top pond can be reached by driving past the ASDA roundabout, taking the first left to the back of the ASDA store, and then through the barrier (please close after you when accessing and exiting) following the track on the right to the pond. At the end of the track there is parking available for anglers.
- Common Carp
- Mirror Carp